About The Book
This exciting new text offers a comprehensive, engaging, and readable overview to the dynamic field of medical speech-language pathology. It is the first medical speech-language pathology textbook that is not focused on the various disorders, but instead examines the scope and key concepts of the profession, such as clinical reasoning, interprofessional practice, and the continuum of care. The book provides an in-depth overview of health care workplace settings (acute care, inpatient rehabilitation, skilled nursing, home health, outpatient care, pediatric service delivery, pharmacology, and neuroimaging).
The text also includes numerous case studies that instructors and students can use to explore application of both clinical- and setting-specific principles as a primer for practice in “the real world.”
- Chapters are authored by respected experts within both academia and medical speech-language pathology
- Numerous figures, tables, and photos enhance readers’ visual learning experience
- Boxed focal points highlight areas of emphasis, special practice considerations, competencies, and cases
- Case studies, where students are introduced to patient assessment, treatment, and management examples across the care continuum
- An Appendix listing common medical test procedures and reference values.
- PowerPoint lecture slides for instructors
Medical Speech-Language Pathology Across the Care Continuum: An Introduction is also helpful for speech-language pathologists transitioning from a school-based or private practice setting into health care.